Farm Assistant - Moon Hollow Ranch, Sonoma, CA
Moon Hollow Ranch seeks two full-time Farm Assistants to join our team. You would be working on a scenic property near the town of Sonoma that is being developed into a world class estate. We require very detail oriented, hard workers with the ability to work independently. We raise registered Babydoll Southdown Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, heritage breed hogs and poultry, as well as heirloom fruit and berries and an olive oil production orchard. A small kitchen garden will be added and a production garden is in the planning stage. The positions are between 32 and 40 hours per week and shifts are 8 hours: one opening is for the early morning shift, and the other for the late afternoon shift – both positions require work on Saturday and Sunday, but the week days off are flexible.
Position Summary: Under direct supervision of the Gardens & Livestock Manager, the positions will primarily focus on the daily care, feeding and movement of livestock, the re-establishment and care of a small kitchen garden, and potentially the beginning of the production garden.
Duties & Responsibilities: The major responsibilities of the position may include, but are not limited to:
- Keeping areas neat and tidy at all times to maintain the aesthetic of the estate
- Observing all animals for signs of stress or illness
- Daily feeding and care of livestock
- Moving sheep to new electronet fence grazing cells for vegetation management and invasive plant control
- Maintain electronet and hard-wired electric fences in good working order, checking daily, repairing as needed
- Maintaining an inventory of fencing and materials
- Collecting, cleaning and packing eggs
- Towing a trailer with sheep and a water tank on a trailer to fill water troughs.
- Compost production and maintenance
- Installation and maintenance of irrigation
- Planting and maintenance and harvest of kitchen garden
Additional tasks may include milking goats, beekeeping, noxious and invasive plant management, trimming hooves, administering medication as needed, etc.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks to completion
- Valid California Driver's license and clean driving record
- Full background security check
- Ability to lift and carry 50+ lbs
- Ability to work outside year-round, including in inclement weather with exposure to poison oak
- Ability to use equipment and power tools safely, taking extremely good care of all ranch equipment
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Good time management skills and ability to make efficient use of time
- Good communication skills, computer literate and experience with google docs a plus
To be considered for the position, please send a cover letter explaining your desire to work with us, resume detailing your past experience, and three references to email@example.com
Compensation: $16.38 per hour with health insurance stipend, paid lunch break, vacation, sick leave and holidays.